Degrees, Certificates & Credentials
Paying for College
Impact of the CSU
Teacher and Educator Preparation
Business & Economy
The CSU System
About the CSU
Graduation Initiative 2025
Why the CSU Matters
Faculty & Staff
Doing Business with the CSU
Transparency & Accountability
Support the CSU
Support the CSU
CSU Job Listing Details
13284 Digital Journalism Assistant Professor
August 7, 2017
Open until filled
Faculty (Unit 3)
Link to Apply Online:
Campus Employment Homepage:
California State University, Fresno
College of Arts and Humanities
Media, Communication and Journalism
Vacancy # 13284
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community are expected to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the University's commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect and ethical behavior, please visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity
• Available for Academic Year: 2018/2019.
• Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
• Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the University's Probationary Plan Process.
• Salary placement depends upon academic preparation and professional experience.
• California State University, Fresno is a vibrant and growing campus. When necessary, the University may decide to make more than one faculty appointment from a single search.
The Department of Media, Communications and Journalism at California State University, Fresno seeks applicants for a tenure-track, academic year position as an Assistant Professor in Digital Journalism. The successful candidate will serve as adviser to the university’s award-winning student newspaper, teach classes, conduct scholarly research, and engage in service-related activities. Primary teaching responsibilities may include courses in writing, editing, digital journalism, and other fields related to the candidate’s area of expertise.
The successful candidate will serve as the main adviser to The Collegian, Fresno State’s award-winning student newspaper. Established in 1922, The Collegian is consistently recognized by the California College Media Association and other organizations as one of California’s leading student publications for both its print and online products. The Department of Media, Communications and Journalism offers degrees in Journalism, Public Relations/Advertising and Multimedia Production. The successful candidate will also teach classes in the Journalism emphasis related to their area of expertise.
Required Education: An earned doctorate (Ph.D.) in Journalism or other closely-related discipline from an accredited institution (or equivalent) is required; however, applicants nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD) may be considered. For appointment, the doctorate must be completed by August 1, 2018.
1) Demonstrated teaching experience;
2) Professional experience in journalism;
3) Ability to demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
1) Experience advising or managing a student-run publication or media operation, and;
2) Experience teaching writing, editing, and/or digital journalism courses.
Application Procedures: Review of applications will begin September 15, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled. To apply, applicants must complete an on-line application at jobs.fresnostate.edu and attach the following:
1) a cover letter specifically addressing required experience and preferred qualifications;
2) a curriculum vitae, and
3) list of three professional references.
Finalists will be required to submit
1) three current letters of recommendation and
2) official transcripts.
For inquires, contact: Dr. Bradley W. Hart, Search Committee Chair; 2225 E. San Ramon Ave. M/S MF 10, Fresno, CA 93740; Phone: 559.278.1160; E-mail email@example.com.
Other: In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees on-line at http://www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. An offer of employment may be withdrawn or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following web site: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
Back to Top